We are often asked questions concerning the activities and mission of AmCham, here we address some of those most frequently asked.
1. WHAT IS THE AMCHAM ABU DHABI?
AmCham Abu Dhabi is a trademark of the American Business Group of Abu Dhabi. We are an independent, private, not-for-profit trade association of American companies and individuals doing business in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. AmCham Abu Dhabi is a member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and part of the global network of American Chambers of Commerce. We rely solely on membership dues and activity fees and receive no government funding.
2. WHO ARE THE MEMBERS OF AMCHAM ABU DHABI?
Our members are comprised of American companies licensed in Abu Dhabi or having business relationships in the U.A.E.; American individuals living in Abu Dhabi; and select Emirati companies that have proven they can contribute to AmCham Abu Dhabi’s mission. Twenty-five percent of our corporate members were listed in the latest edition of Fortune 500. Corporate representatives are the two most senior executives from each member company.
3. WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES OF AMCHAM ABU DHABI?
- To promote commerce, investment and goodwill between the membership, the United States of America and the United Arab Emirates.
- To provide a forum in which American business executives in Abu Dhabi and overseas business executives with American interests may identify, discuss and pursue common interests.
- To work with individuals and organizations in Abu Dhabi on matters of mutual interest.
- To heighten awareness of Abu Dhabi’s significant commercial role in the Middle East and increased American trade and business opportunities in Abu Dhabi.
4. HOW DOES THE AMCHAM ABU DHABI FULFILL THESE OBJECTIVES?
- Meetings with key U.S. and U.A.E. government officials and departments to express U.S. business concerns.
- Monthly speaker breakfasts, luncheons and seminars on current business issues.
- Roundtable discussions focusing on specific industry sector issues.
- Advocacy against regressive taxation of expatriates overseas.
- Business briefings for visiting businesses and government officials.
- Assistance to U.S. trade delegations and business persons visiting Abu Dhabi.
- Online member keyword search contact portal via AmCham website and AmCham App.
- Maintenance of a library of U.S. directories and trade information.
5. ARE THERE OTHER U.S. BUSINESS INTEREST GROUPS IN THE MIDDLE EAST?
Yes, AmCham Abu Dhabi collaborates with other U.S. business groups active in the Middle East. There are regional U.S. Business Councils in the Middle East such as AmCham M.E.N.A. of which we are a member. AmCham Abu Dhabi is also a lifetime non-voting board member of the U.S.-U.A.E. Business Council located in Washington D.C.
6. HOW CAN I BECOME AN AMCHAM MEMBER?
Please visit the AmCham Website www.amchamabudhabi.org and complete the online pre-qualification, after which the Membership Office will contact you to complete the application process. Applications are reviewed by the Board of Directors monthly. Dues are prorated throughout the year.
PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP @ AED 36,500 (~$9,900) per year – American or Emirati companies that are licensed to do business in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and want exclusive VIP benefits and preferential status.
CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP @ AED 9,500 (~$2,500) per year – American or Emirati companies that are licensed to do business in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
AFFILIATE NON-VOTING CORPORATE @ AED 9,500 (~$2,500) per year – Foreign companies that are licensed to operate in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi or U.S. companies that do not have an established business presence and are looking to establish a branch office or joint venture partnership in Abu Dhabi.
INDIVIDUAL MEMBER @ AED 1,800 (~$490) per year – U.S. citizen individuals who hold a valid U.A.E. residence visa.
NON-VOTING AFFILIATE INDIVIDUAL @ AED 1,800 (~$490) per year – Open to non – U.S. citizens who prove they can contribute to the AmCham mission.
CORPORATE EMPLOYEE @ AED 1,300 (~$350) per year – Individuals whose company is a corporate member may apply for discounted individual membership status.
50% DISCOUNT MEMBERSHIP @ AED 900 (~$245) per year – Open to U.S. Embassy employees, U.S. Teachers, Active U.S. Military, U.S. Professors/Students, and spouses of AmCham members.
7. WHO MANAGES AND REPRESENTS AMCHAM ABU DHABI?
AmCham Abu Dhabi is managed by a Chief Executive Director and professional staff. The Board of Directors is elected annually by members and includes officers as well as 11 members at large. The Chairman of the Board is the spokesperson for the membership. AmCham Abu Dhabi holds an Annual General Meeting and a Strategic Planning Meeting to further develop itself as a leading professional organization.
*Dues are subject to 5% Value Added Tax (VAT).